USDC Judges Chambers
The Theodore Levin U.S. Courthouse was constructed from 1931-1934 and is a contributing building to the Detroit Financial District, a National Register Historic District. The intent of this project is the renovation of approximately 4,000 square feet on the seventh floor, including a new Judge’s Chambers. The renovation of the space included remodeling a toilet room, new lighting (including emergency lighting), new millwork of shelving, cabinetry, and wainscot in addition to the demolition of existing ceiling systems, ductwork, lighting, wall, millwork, and floor finishes.
The most critical area of design for the Chambers was the Judge's private office and associates conference room. The existing area to be renovated was a tall and narrow room and the Judge's conference room was separated from the private office by a gypsum board wall. To provide an area that appeared wider and longer, we proposed a glass wall to separate the two rooms. To help facilitate the buy-in of the design with the clients, three-dimensional renderings were produced and reviewed with the team.